As week 9 rolls in, a few teams get a much needed boost and two films rise above even the best of their expectations as we roll towards our next big blockbuster release. Let’s break it all down!
- 1.21 GigaWATTS: 154 points (The Avengers(Done), Dictator(Done), Magic Mike)
- The Escape From The Return of Butt Mountain: 95 points (Battleship(Done), Snow White (Done), Lincoln Vampire Hunter)
- Team Harpo’s Harpies: 82 points (Dark Shadows(Done), MIB III(Done))
- Joseph Parks Sucks: 72 points (Prometheus, Brave)
- Fang McFrost: 55 Points (Madagascar 3)
- The Escape From The Return of Butt Mountain II: Electric Boogaloo: 40 points (Chernobyl Diaries(Done),Rock of Ages (Done), Ted)
- Patty Hearst Syndrome
Magic Mike and Ted both opened to numbers a lot higher then they were even projected by their own studios. Ted now has the highest grossing weekend of a non sequel R rated comedy, passing The Hangover. Magic Mike didn’t grab any records but it did double projections and beat out family film Brave for 2nd place. How long these two hold up remains to be seen.
The Amazing Spider-Man will be opening this Tuesday, giving The Escape From The Return of Butt Mountain II: Electric Boogaloo their 4th film. They will need it as Rock of Ages bowed out of the box office in only it’s second week. There is a strong chance that the team could hold both the No. 1 and No. 2 earning films next weekend unless one of the other currently released films surge to the top. Next weekend could also see our 2nd team of the season cross the 100 point mark. Other then that it’s now time for these teams to rely on their currently available films to ride out the 30 days and earn as much as possible, as new films will start to be few and far between with many of them drafting movies that don’t release until the end of summer. It will sure get interesting by then.